Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Quotes

Nadia
"I could be a hundred things to a hundred different people. I could be a daughter, a wife, a sister, a friend, or a colleague. But beyond all, if I can be myself, that's independence."

Mandeep Maitra,Head(HR), HDFC Bank
Independence means "emancipation for women in every sense of the term. It means freedom to make choices on your own and not just live with those that are thrust upon you because of your gender, economic and financial situation."

Epitaph by Shahnaz Hussain for her deceased son Sameer
"Oh God, you have given me life to live and breathe but how can I live when you have taken my breath away."

Verse by Khalil Gibran
"One day you'll ask me, which is more important, my life or yours, I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life."

Quotes by Narayana Murthy(of 'Infosys' fame)
"Entrepreneurship is about running a marathon, not a 100 metre dash."

" I believe that we have all at some time eaten the fruit from trees that we did not plant. In the fullness of time, when it is our turn to give, it behooves us in turn to plant gardens that we may never eat the fruit of, which will largely benefit generations to come. I believe this is our sacred responsibility, one that I hope you will shoulder in time."

"Our intellectual arrogance has also not helped our society. I have traveled extensively, and in my experience, have not come across another society where people are as contemptuous of better societies as we are, with as little progress as we have achieved. Remember that arrogance breeds hypocrisy. No other society gloats so much about the past as we do, with as little current accomplishment."

"Corruption, as we see in India, is another example of putting the interest of oneself, and at best that of one's family, above that of the society. Society is relatively corruption free in the West."

"Dignity of labor is an integral part of the Western value system. In the West, each person is proud about his or her labor that raises honest sweat. On the other hand, in India, we tend to overlook the significance of those who are not in professional jobs."

"Irrespective of your position, in the West, you are held accountable for what you do. However, in India, the more 'important' you are, the less answerable you are."

"The most important attribute of a progressive society is respect for others who have accomplished more than they themselves have, and learn from them."

"It is less important, I believe, where you start. It is more important how and what you learn. If the quality of the learning is high, the development gradient is steep, and, given time, you can find yourself in a previously unattainable place."

"Mahatma Gandhi epitomizes the qualities of leadership by example, simplicity and perseverance. In a knowledge company whose core competencies include human intellect and learning, leaders have to walk the talk."

"Mindset and imagination are more critical than other resources. Essentially, this translates to becoming a group of educated people."

Quote by Nelson Mandela
" I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if need be, it is an ideal for which I'm prepared to die."

Quote by Deepak Chopra
"I honor in you the divine that I honor within myself and I know we are one."

No comments: